How to Conduct the Minnesota ArcGIS Online Student Competition
The workshop is open to any teacher or administrator interested in conducting the Minnesota ArcGIS Online student competition at their school. The workshop provides a differentiated instructional format to meet the needs of participants from ArcGIS Online beginners to advanced users. The workshop is limited to 25 participants.
The workshop will use a hybrid schedule as follows:
- July 16 – 10:00 am – 2:00 pm – Face-to-face introductory session held at Macalester College Geography Department.
- Four online instructional sessions will be conducted using the Zoom platform. Each session will be 2 hours. Participants will also complete an independent study assignment after each session to provide practice to enhance their skills. The online sessions cover the following topics:
- Using ArcGIS Online as a geographic research tool. Independent Study: Participants choose and research a Minnesota-based topic to research.
- The basics of creating and styling an ArcGIS Online web map for use in a story map. Independent Study: Participants create at least one web map with two or more layers based on their Minnesota topic.
- Creating a Story Map Journal. This is the recommended story map option for a competition entry. Independent Study: Participants create a Story Map Journal based on their Minnesota topic.
- How to maximize the use of an ArcGIS Online organizational account. Topics include setting up a single sign-on the system to eliminate the use of usernames and passwords. Setting up a showcase account to preserve student competition entries.
- Geofest – Saturday, October 27 (Optional session) – Participants attend one Geofest session to share their story map journals and prepare for the 2020 competition.
- Jim Hanson
- Retired Bloomington Public Schools middle school social studies teacher
- Gifted and Talented Instruction Consultant Bloomington Public schools
- Coordinator of the Minnesota ArcGIS Online student competition
- Esri T3G 2016 graduate
- Shana Crosson
- GIS and academic technology instructor College of Liberal Arts of University of Minnesota
- Esri T3G 2016 graduate
Twelve Continuing Education Units (CEU) will be granted to all participants who complete the required elements.
For more information contact Jim Hanson at: email@example.com
To register for the workshop, fill out the form at this website: http://bit.ly/MAGEworkshop2019Deadline to register is June 30, 201